Circular economy in key sectors
How we implement the circular economy programme
Various stakeholders and sectors in society must adjust their operating methods and create innovations to make the circular economy a reality. In particular, the construction and real estate sector has significant potential in this regard, because it is one of the largest consumers of natural resources.
Municipal and regional administrations are key players in the circular economy. They have considerable potential to promote services and solutions e.g. in urban planning and procurement that support the circular economy. Municipalities and regions have helped to create cooperation between operator networks and ecosystems that support the circular economy and have collaborated to develop new solutions in actual operating environments.
What we do and where we are now:
1. We will conclude an agreement on a low-carbon circular economy.
- The low-carbon circular economy agreement aims to promote the transition to the circular economy society in different sectors, companies, regions and municipalities. Operators can join the low-carbon circular economy agreement with their own commitment. An analysis of material flows in Finland and scenarios will be drawn up in support of assessing the effectiveness of the objectives and measures. The work started in March 2022 and will continue until the summer of 2023. Press release of the Ministry of the Environment: Ministries seek partners to low-carbon circular economy agreement. Responsible organisation: Ministry of the Environment and Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment.
2. We will establish a national talent network to support the work of corporate, municipal, and regional ecosystems in promoting a circular society.
- The national talent network for the circular economy established in March 2022 brings together experts on the circular economy, disseminates information and good practices and improves the capabilities of operators in promoting the circular economy. The network is coordinated by Motiva Oy and Finnish Environment Institute SYKE, and it will be further developed during 2022 together with stakeholders. Responsible organisation: Ministry of the Environment.
3. We will increase awareness and skills related to the circular economy in the real estate and construction sectors.
- We will implement the Circular Economy in Construction Growth Path together with Kasvu Open. This programme is targeted to companies working on the circular economy. The aim is to offer support for the growth and development of construction sector companies that apply sustainable development in their operations. The programme is implemented from April to October 2022. Responsible organisation: Ministry of the Environment.
- Awareness of the circular economy in real estate and construction sectors is promoted as part of the low-carbon circular economy agreement.
4. We will develop the land use planning principles and the guidance of construction and the use of premises to support the circular economy.
- This measure is still in the early planning stage. Responsible organisation: Ministry of the Environment.