Finland has prepared a strategic programme to promote a circular economy. The aim is to transform the economy into one that is based on the principles of circular economy by 2035. With this programme, the Finnish Government wants to strengthen Finland’s role as a leader in the circular economy. The transition into a circular economy is also a step towards achieving the Government's carbon neutrality target by 2035. The Finnish Government adopted the resolution on promoting a circular economy on 7 April 2021.
- Ministry of the Environment: Finland's Circular Economy Programme sets targets to curb overconsumption of natural resources
The strategic programme to promote a circular economy sets out objectives for the use of natural resources. It sets the objectives and indicators, specify the measures to be taken and allocate the resources needed to promote the circular economy and achieve systemic change.
The programme has been prepared as a collaborative effort between ministries, research institutes, the Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra, Business Finland*, and several companies and municipalities.
Four thematic groups has been involved in the preparation of the programme: real estate and construction, municipalities and regions, energy and material intensive industry, and emerging technologies and new business models.
Vision of the programme
Finland in 2035: Our economic success is founded on a carbon-neutral circular economy society.
- Sustainable products and services are mainstream and the sharing economy is commonplace.
- Our choices are future-proof and they strengthen our fair welfare society.
- More for less: the use of natural resources is sustainable and materials remain in circulation longer and more safely.
- The breakthrough of the circular economy has been achieved through innovations, digital solutions, smart regulation, and responsible investors, businesses and consumers.
- With a circular economy, Finland is a strong player in the global arena and a provider of sustainable solutions on the international market.
Applications for funding in support of the Circular Economy Programme
Business Finland distributes investment grants to companies registered in Finland whose investments contribute to the circular economy and green growth in Finland. The application period for the investment grants ends on 16 April 2021.
- Press release of Business Finland 10 February 2021: EUR 17 million to be distributed as circular economy investment grants - application opens on 15 February 2021.
Citizens to support the preparation of the programme
The preparation of the programme for circular economy has bene supported by a citizens’ jury, which consisted of 50 citizens randomly selected from among volunteers. In addition, all citizens had an opportunity to participate in the preparation of the programme through an online brainstorming platform.
* Business Finland is the Finnish government organisation for innovation funding and trade, travel and investment promotion