Organisation and management of the Ministry of the Environment
At the Ministry of the Environment matters are prepared by the Natural Environment Department, Built Environment Department, Climate and Environmental Protection Department and Ministerial Governance and International Affairs Department. Besides these, the ministry has a support function for Communications.
The ministry is led by the Minister of Climate and the Environment, with the Permanent Secretary as the highest public official.
The Permanent Secretary holds the highest position within the ministry. The Permanent Secretary assists the ministers in directing, developing and supervising the activities of the ministry and its administrative branch.
The Permanent Secretary:
- directs the ministry's activities and strategic planning
- coordinates the implementation of the ministry's strategy
- is responsible for internal supervision
- directs performance guidance within the administrative branch.
Departments and support function of the Ministry of the Environment
The ministry’s departments are headed by Directors General. The support function for Communications is headed by the Director of Communications.
Natural Environment Department
The Natural Environment Department is responsible for matters concerning:
- nature conservation
- landscape management
- recreational use of nature
- protection of surface waters, groundwater and marine areas
- ecological sustainability and environmental protection in agriculture and forestry, extraction of earth materials, and other use of rural areas and natural resources
- environmental impact assessments
- regional cooperation in environmental protection projects.
Built Environment Department
The Built Environment Department is responsible for the guidance and development of land use, housing and construction and for matters concerning:
- regional and urban structure
- land use planning
- land policy
- community infrastructure
- quality, functionality and efficiency of construction
- quality of the living environment and housing
- maintenance of the building stock
- renovation construction
- management of cultural environments
- protection of buildings
- construction supervision
- healthiness and safety of communities and buildings
- noise abatement
- support for the production, repair and acquisition of housing
- housing costs and financing.
Climate and Environmental Protection Department
The Climate and Environmental Protection Department is responsible for matters concerning:
- air protection
- climate change
- sustainable consumption and production
- waste issues
- prevention of environmental harm associated with chemicals and nano- and biotechnologies
- soil contamination
- prevention of and compensation for environmental damage
- environmental economics
- environmental technology.
Director General ad interim
Ministerial Governance and International Affairs Department
The Ministerial Governance and International Affairs Department is responsible for:
- administration and its development
- guidance of the administrative branch
- operational and financial planning and guidance
- human resource matters
- coordination of the Ministry's multilateral cooperation, external relations of the European Union concerning environmental issues, and regional, Nordic and bilateral cooperation
- coordination of the environmental policy of the European Union and preparation of common legislation in cooperation with the ministry’s other departments and the support function
- preparation and implementation of international agreements within the ministry's field of activities in cooperation with the ministry’s other departments and the support function
- development of information systems and information resources of the ministry and its administrative branch and guidance of their coordination in cooperation with the ministry’s other departments and the support function
- other administrative affairs.
The support function for Communications at the Ministry of the Environment is responsible for the ministry’s external and internal communication activities, in cooperation with the ministry’s departments and units. The responsibilities also include cooperation in communication activities within the administrative branch and with other Government ministries.
Director of Communications
Management support works directly under the Permanent Secretary.
The Research Director is responsible for coordinating the ministry’s research and development activities in cooperation with the Permanent Secretary, departments and the support function. The Research Director also assists the ministry’s management in the evaluation of the needs for research and analyses and in the monitoring and impact assessment of projects.
+358 295 250 139
Director of Legislative Affairs
The Director of Legislative Affairs is responsible for coordinating the preparation, development and implementation of legislation at the Ministry of the Environment in cooperation with the Permanent Secretary and the ministry's departments and units. The Director of Legislative Affairs also assists the management in the evaluation of the need for law drafting and in the monitoring and impact assessment of legislative projects, participates in the ministry’s key legislative projects where considered necessary, and manages the ministry’s joint coordination tasks.
Director of Legislation
Director for Development
The Director for Development is responsible for monitoring and coordinating the implementation of the Government Programme in cooperation with the Permanent Secretary and the ministry’s departments and units. The Director for Development also assists the ministry’s management in strategic planning, guidance and development and in monitoring the implementation of the strategy, participates in the ministry’s key development projects where considered necessary, and manages the ministry’s joint coordination tasks
Director for Development
Senior Ministerial Adviser, Internal Audit