The purpose of the Land Use and Building Act:
- Organising the use of land areas and building activities conducted on them in such a way that creates the preconditions for a favourable living environment
- Promoting ecologically, socially and culturally sustainable development
- Ensuring that everyone has the right to participate in the preparation of related matters
- Ensuring the high quality and interactivity of planning, the diversity of expertise, and the openness of communications
The general goals are supplemented by the objectives of land use planning (section 5) and the objectives of building guidance (section 12).
The Land Use and Building Act and Decree include provisions on the following:
- Town planning
- Municipal building ordinances
- Planning and building with regard to shore areas
- Plot division
- Expropriation of land in relation to community structure
- General requirements on building
- Building permits and other supervision by authorities
The functionality of the Land Use and Building Act is monitored and evaluated in order to ensure that it meets the needs of the changing operating environment.
The reform of the Land Use and Building Act
The main objectives of the reform are to create a carbon neutral society, strengthen biodiversity, improve the quality of construction and advance digitalisation.