Legislation on soil protection
Finland does not have separate legislation on soil protection, and the relevant controls are included in several different statutes.
The most important legislation covering soil contamination and the rehabilitation of contaminated soils is contained in the Environmental Protection Act, which prohibits the contamination of soils and groundwater.
- Finlex, in Finnish: Environmental Protection Act 527/2014
- Finlex, in Finnish: Environmental Protection Decree 713/2014
Standards controlling the sustainable use and protection of soils are generally included in the legislation covering related activities such as construction, earth extraction, farming and forestry. Certain controls in Finnish legislation on nature conservation and landscape protection also concern soils.
Materials excavated during the rehabilitation of contaminated sites are classed as wastes, and covered by waste legislation.
Unofficial translations of other original Acts and Decrees are available in the Data Bank of Finnish Legislation:
- Finlex: Land Use and Building Act 132/1999
- Finlex: Land Use and Building Decree 895/1999
- Finlex: Nature Conservation Act 1096/1996
- Finlex: Nature Conservation Decree 160/1997
Further information and links related to soil protection legislation in Finnish on the Finnish webpage
- Maaperänsuojelulainsäädäntö (Soil protection legislation)